Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23 a.m.

Whaddup y'all, Clairene here! This morning we dragged ourselves out of bed, had breakfast (PANCAKES WHADDUP), and hopped on a bus to do ministry in San Pedro. First we toured a private Christian K-5 school that is run by the wife of the pastor of the church we attended yesterday. It was super nifty to see the kids getting the education that they desperately need and that most kids here unfortunately don't recieve. After that, the chicos and chicas split up and the boys headed out to move some furniture and the girls walked a few blocks away to Mercy House, a safe house for prostitutes that want to get off the street. Here they get to learn about God and how to provide for themselves by making jewelry and gorgeous flip flops. Eventually they are able to transition out of the safe house and are given a sewing machine and are told that Mercy House will buy the items that they make. Today we girls re-painted the living room and dining room of the safe house because the (ADORABLE) kids that come there with their mothers apparently enjoy using their coloring crayons on the walls. It was a lot of work but it was fun playing with the kids and knowing that we were making the house even more inviting for these women that need somewhere to come and be loved with the love of God through other people. Right now we're sitting under the stars at the YWAM base with some Dominican teens having a little impromptu worship session. I've really enjoyed getting to know them this week and it makes me SO SAD to think that we have to leave Wednesday. Sorry mi familia, but I don't miss you or America at all HAHAHA. I'm actually digging the humidity and sudden rainshowers and the tarantulas at night and hearing Spanish everywhere (no sarcasm intended). Although, today when we went to Jumbo, the grocery store, I realized that they don't have gallons of milk here like they do back home. I'm not sure if you know, but I'm half Dutch so milk runs in my blood. Frankly, I was appalled and I have yet to figure out a way to have milk shipped here when I live here in the future...Or I can just get a cow...Anyways, I'm out for now, time to go hang out with the Dominican homies. Much love xoxo P.S. No joke, she was crying in the middle of the grocery store. -Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment